About Churchill Gardens
In nineteenth century Boscombe, between the 1860s and 1880s, whilst much of the surrounding area was undergoing rapid development, a green space was kept for cricket and other sports and recreations. This was originally called Gower Gardens and was edged with rhododenrons and other shrubs. As pressure to build houses grew it was felt important that a green area be retained and so Churchill Gardens (named after Randolph Churchill, father of Winston) was built, between 1893 and 1912 in Early Vernacular and Domestic Revival styles, enclosing a large gardenesque green square. The open and airy square (though not a perfect square) is characterised by features such as ornate fretwork porches and balconies, tile hung gables with mock Tudor timberwork and Elizabethan-style glazing, and Arts & Crafts ideas of skilled workmanship and materials. It is now the heart of Churchill Gardens Conservation Area.
The Churchill Garden Community Association is a constituted community group originally formed back in 2009 as The Friends of Churchill Gardens. We are now looking to breath life back in to the Group with a new name, a new engaged and elected committee and refreshed membership. Membership is open to anyone who shares the aims of the group.
The Aims of Churchill Garden Community Association
Why become a Member?
Membership is open to anyone who shares the aims of the Churchill Gardens Community Association. Members must actively seek to represent the group and its aims in their conduct and communication.
Chairperson – Nic Coram
Vice Chairperson – Jack Maguire
Treasurer – Adam Playfair
Secretary – Sammy Davies
Committee Members – Katerina Svetlikova